Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

Alright so I wrote a blog a while ago, listing books I wanted to read. Well I actually finished one! The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is one of the better books I've read in a very long time.  It's got everything, really.  Romance, suspense, action, mystery, supernatural-yet-human, and ohhhhh so very addicting.  Honestly, the only reason I ever put the book down was to stretch it out so I would buy myself some time until the sequel comes out.  Michelle Hodkin is an amazing writer, judging by this book.  It's just one of those books that really sucks you in and one that just about any audience can relate to, which I think is important when you write characters in a book.  

I won't go too much into the plot of the book because YOU WILL read it or face my wrath lol, but just as a brief thingie-ma-bob: Mara Dyer moves to Florida because she has recently suffered a truama in her life.  The plan was to move her away from her old life and start new, sort of.  Through out the book, the author describes Mara as not being mentally stable because of the truama she has suffered; PTSD, to let you know.

Anyway, she meets a boy of course because that is how all young adult novels tend to go, but it isn't AT ALL like the Twilight Saga where Bella falls in love with a guy she meets once and barely speaks two words to.  In fact, I love that Mara hates Noah for the most part.  Even when she starts to like him, she hates him, and I thought that was interesting.  Another thing I really liked, partly because I love psychology and all, was that the author seems to have really researched Mara's mental health state after she moves to Florida. I've taken more than my fair share of psych courses, including abnormal psych, and the author is dead on when she describes Mara's mental state. I sort of geeked out, really.

One thing that I didn't like about this book was that sometimes the punctuation or spelling/capitalization would be off.  It was barely noticeable, but when I did notice it, it irked me a little.  I'm no grammar nazi, but nonetheless it did make me sigh a little.  Something else is that you have to read past the first few chapters to really get into this book.  I mean, that's how I read most books, anyway-needing to get a feel for the writer and the book's characters and all.  

However, once you get past getting to know the characters, so to speak, the book is SO HARD TO PUT DOWN.  Literally, I would stay up pretty late to read it and even read it during class sometimes. It was down right addicting.  I would definitely recommend and BEG someone to read this book, because it really is THAT  good...Amazing.

The sequel is called, "The Evolution of Mara Dyer" and it isn't set to be released until flipping OCTOBER. Gahhhhd! This makes me hurt in all the wrong ways lol. I want to read it noooowwww. However, I love the title and the cover.  The title is genius when you know what happens in the first book, especially the ending of the first book. So yes, go out and buy/rent this book from the library. In all honesty, you may want to buy it so you have a copy forever and ever. I know I plan on reading it again and again until the sequel comes out. Damn October. 

Here's the author's blog: http://www.michellehodkin.blogspot.com/ 
And here's The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer Website:http://maradyer.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment