Friday, July 13, 2012

Healthy stuff and things :D!



So...I didn't really plan this or anything, but I went to the store and got a ton of healthy things! Well...not a ton, but a lot? Enough? Whatever, healthy things! And I made some healthy recipes today so...here you go :)

Here's what I got today :)

Blueberries (a package)
Strawberries (a package)
Mangos (3)
Wheat thins (whole grain)
Whole wheat bagels
Eggs
Turkey bacon
Three cans of chick peas/garbanzo beans (for hummus)
Two large bags of carrots (cheaper than baby carrots)
Green juice
One large cucumber
Two large bags of 'veggie lovers' salad (they have snap peas and stuff in them)
Cheese (reduced fat)
Two packages of whole grain popcorn (one kettle one butter flavor)
One package of frozen edamame
....And I'm sure I'm leaving things out...but that's all I can remember

Surprisingly, I didn't really spend as much as I thought I would! And...I feel really proud of myself for not buying anything 'bad' for you at the supermarket....even when I saw the lady before me at the check out line getting snickers and chips. I resisted....and it was hard lol

Anyway...Here's what I did when I got home from the store.

I immediately made myself a turkey bacon (2 slices), egg (one, sunny side up) and cheese sammich on a whole wheat bagel. I was starving and hadn't had anything besides a cup of coffee this morning. Granted, I did over sleep 'till about 12 and I went to the store and got home around 2ish....But I really need to get better about eating breakfast every single day. Again, hard.

Anyway, turkey bacon doesn't taste anything like real bacon, and I'm not sure if I like it yet or not...but I'll keep trying to eat it and see if it grows on me.

Oh! And with my sammich I had four strawberries and a half of a glass of green juice. What is green juice? This stuff:
I'm sure you may have seen the Naked brand before and although they're a little pricey, I think they're worth it if you buy the bigger bottle rather than the single serving size. These are REAL smoothies with out additives so of course they're a bit expensive. The green one, 'Green Machine' has:
  • 2 3/4 Apples
  • 1/2 Banana
  • 1/3 Kiwi
  • 1/3 Mango
  • a hint of Pineapple
  •  1,300 mg Spirulina
  • 400 mg Chlorella
  • 100 mg Broccoli
  • 100 mg Spinach
  • 50 mg Blue Green Algae
  • 50 mg Garlic
  • 75 mg Barley Grass
  • 75 mg Wheatgrass
  • 50 mg Ginger
  • 50 mg Parsley (this is all from the Naked website)
On to the amazing hummus I made today....holy crap. It's....okay listen.
I've tried hummus before and I wasn't really a big fan of the brand...I don't really remember which one it was, but I got it at my college and it was just plain nasty. So, I decided to try and make my own. After researching a few recipes online, I made it my own and here's what I did.

Ingredients:
  • One (15 oz) can of chick/garbanzo beans, drained, liquid reserved
  • One teaspoon of hot, Hungarian, paprika. (or any paprika, really)
  • One table spoon of lemon juice
  • One teaspoon of salt
  • Three small cloves of garlic, crushed
  • One half tablespoon of sesame seeds


So, all you do is combine everything in a food processor/blender until it's smooth. Add a bit of the bean's liquid at a time until you get the consistency you want. Taste as you go so you can see if you need to add more lemon or anything. The sesame seeds, I feel, are optional and I only used them because I had a tiny bit left in the jar. The results....A-Flipping-Mazing hummus. I like it on whole wheat, wheat thins...or carrot sticks. Oh yeah. And it makes a lot, this recipe. Also, I think you're supposed to add olive oil...but I forgot lol and it came out really good, anyway. Seriously, I could have eaten it all off a spoon, plain.

So, I feel a lot better about eating/being healthy this week than I did last week, or even a few days ago. I feel like it's still going to be a challenge but I feel I'm more determined to be healthy now more than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment